What is Sustainability?
As defined by Elgin's working groups:
Sustainability for Elgin, Illinois is a movement that complements community values to foster a cooperative spirit and reward efficient use of all resources locally, regionally, and globally; accomplished by incorporating the social, economic, and environmental objectives of our citizens into our policy, development, and culture.
Elgin's sustainability movement is guided by these principles:
- To create a self sustaining community
- To ensure that future generations can enjoy at least the same natural resources that we did
- To preserve, minimize, and restore
- To accept that we are one species among many
- To evaluate current practices and policies to lessen our environmental footprint
- To foster spaces that are healthy, energy efficient, and encourage community inter-connectivity