Landlord Training Program
The Landlord Training Program is mandatory for all residential rental license holders in Elgin. This is an informative training opportunity that is required by city ordinance 6.37.100: Owner Responsibility to Attend.
The class is taught by police officers from the Crime- Free Housing Unit. Rental property owners and managers will also benefit from this seminar and are welcome to attend. An array of topics are discussed, which include:
- Successful criminal and civil applicant screening
- Benefits of effective crime-free lease addendums
- Recognition of gang and drug activity
- Successful civil evictions
- Legal issues in rental housing
If you have already taken the Crime Free Multi Housing Landlord class from a certified police agency, we will except a certificate of completion. Please contact a Crime Free Housing Officer to verify your certificate of completion.
Sign-up for Online Landlord Training
The fee to take this training is $22 and it will be invoiced after the class is completed.
Steps to login to take the class
- Create an account in the upper right-hand corner
- Click Learn on the upper toolbar, under the search bar
- Click Online Landlord Class
- To launch the class click the blue Register tab
After completing the course, you will be emailed a certificate. If you don't receive the email, please be sure to check your Junk/Spam folder to make sure it wasn't directed away from your inbox. If you have any issues, contact a Crime Free Housing Officer.
Rental Licensing Requirements
- Rental Licensing Requirements.
- Rental License Application (PDF).
- Rental License Pre-Inspection Guide (PDF).
In-Person Training Sites, Dates and Times
There are currently no dates scheduled due to the availability of the online course. If you would like to be placed on a waiting list for a class, specify which language preference, English or Spanish, you would like to attend and send an email.