Landlord Training Program
The Landlord Training Program is mandatory for all residential rental license holders in Elgin. This is an informative training opportunity that is required by city ordinance 6.37.100: Owner Responsibility to Attend.
The class is taught by police officers from the Crime- Free Housing Unit. Rental property owners and managers will also benefit from this seminar and are welcome to attend. An array of topics are discussed, which include:
- Successful criminal and civil applicant screening
- Benefits of effective crime-free lease addendums
- Recognition of gang and drug activity
- Successful civil evictions
- Legal issues in rental housing
If you have already taken the Crime Free Multi-Housing Landlord class from a certified police agency, we will accept a certificate of completion. Please contact a Crime Free Housing Officer to verify your certificate of completion.
Sign-up for Online Landlord Training
You can complete the requirement at your convenience. Chrome browser is recommended, do not use Internet Explorer.
To register for an in-person course in Spanish please register at this link.
Steps to log in to take the class
- The landlord training booklet and forms can be downloaded prior to taking the class. The book and forms are located at the bottom of this page.
- Do not use internet explorer when logging in
- Click on the badge to the right of this page to register
- Create an account (located on the right of the page)
- Click on landlord training (located in the middle of the page)
After completing the course, you will be emailed a certificate. If you don't receive the email, please be sure to check your Junk/Spam folder to make sure it wasn't directed away from your inbox. If you have any issues, contact a Crime Free Housing Officer.
Rental Licensing Requirements
- Rental Licensing Requirements.
- Rental License Application (PDF).
- Rental License Pre-Inspection Guide (PDF).
In-Person Training Sites, Dates and Times
There are currently no dates scheduled due to the availability of the online course. If you would like to be placed on a waiting list for a class, specify which language preference, English or Spanish, you would like to attend and send an email.