To keep your family safe during a flood, consider the following:
- Go to higher ground and avoid areas subject to flooding.
- Do not attempt to walk across flowing streams or drive through flooded roadways.
- If water rises in your home before you evacuate, go to the top floor, attic or roof.
- Listen to a battery operated radio for the latest information.
- Turn off all utilities at the main power switch and close the main gas valve, if advised to do so.
- When in contact with flood waters, if possible, wash your hands with soap and disinfected water.