Maintaining your supplies to ensure they are safe is just as important as getting your supplies together. Below are some tips to help keep your supplies ready and in good condition:
- Keep canned foods in a dry place where the temperature is cool.
- Store boxed food in tightly closed plastic or metal containers to protect them from pests and to extend its shelf life.
- Throw out any canned goods that become swollen, dented or corroded.
- Place new items at the back of the storage area, and older ones in the front.
- Change food and water supplies every six months. Be sure to write the storage date on all containers.