Body-Worn Camera Program
The Elgin Police Department has implemented a body-worn (BWC) camera program. This page will contain information relating to the project implementation, which will conform with the Illinois Law Enforcement Officer-Worn Body Camera Act.
- June, 2017; Cameras deployed
- February 24, 2017: Cameras delivered to Elgin PD.
- December 7, 2016: Project submitted to the Elgin City Council for approval.
- November 8, 2016: Camera test phase 2 ended.
- October 10, 2016: Camera test phase 2 began.
- August 2, 2016: Request for proposal to vendors released.
- May 2, 2016: Ended camera test phase 1. Camera selection and purchase process to begin.
- November, 2015: Accepted $250,000 grant from Bureau of Justice Administration.
- September 2015: Elgin awarded $250,000 grant (with a $250,000 match required) from the Bureau of Justice Administration.
- September 2015: Eight officers testing cameras during their shifts.
Meetings where updates and BWC conversations have occurred
- Kiwanis Club, October 25, 2016
- Chief's Community Meeting, August 22, 2016
- Digital Prosecutions: Investigating and Prosecuting Cases in the Digital Era conference at the John Marshall Law School
- Chief's Monthly Community Meeting, May 23, 2016 at the Elgin Police Department
- Neighborhood Watch block captain meeting on May 3, 2016 meeting at the Elgin Police Department
- Coffee with a Cop on April 21, 2016 at the Elgin Artspace Lofts
- Citizens Police Academy on April 11, 2016 at the Elgin Police Department.
- Blackhawk neighborhood community meeting on March 29, 2016
- Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association presentation on March 2, 2016 at The Centre of Elgin
- Body worn camera presentation, February 18, 2016 at the Cornerstone Church in Plato Center, IL
- Chief's Monthly Meeting, January 25, 2016 at the Elgin Police Department
- North Country Knolls Neighborhood Meeting, October 6, 2015 as Presence St. Joseph's Hospital, 77 N Airlite St.
- Chief's Community Meeting, September 28, 2015, at Elgin PD
- Police and Community Conversation, September 16, 2015, at Second Baptist Church of Elgin, 1280 Summit St.
- Coffee with a Cop, September 15, 2015, at Dunkin Donuts, 812 E. Chicago St.
Newspaper Articles and Television Interviews
- Elgin police hoping for body cameras by January, Daily Herald, August 25, 2016
- Elgin police test body cameras, Kane County Chronicle, February 26, 2016
- Joe McMahon says police body cameras can be helpful but costly, Daily Herald, January 15, 2016
- Elgin police at forefront of statewide body cam effort, ABC Chicago News, January 14, 2016
- Elgin cops body cameras expected by summer, Daily Herald, November 11, 2015
- Elgin set to accept $250,000 grant for body worn cameras, Courier News, November 3, 2015
- Elgin cops on testing body-worn cameras, Daily Herald, September 29, 2015
- Elgin police to take turns testing body cameras, Courier News, September 25, 2015
- Elgin police get federal funding for body-worn camera, Courier News, September 25, 2015
- Elgin police selected for body-worn camera grant, Daily Herald, September 22, 2015
- Elgin police testing body cameras, Courier News, September 18, 2015
- Elgin seeks grant for body-worn camera program, Courier News, May 11, 2015
- Police committee hopes to make body camera recommendation by October, Daily Herald, May 10, 2015