Water Main Break


The City of Elgin appreciates calls at any time to let them know that there is a problem with Water Department structures. Department personnel may already be aware of the problem and may already be working to solve it, but sometimes your call is what's needed to learn about a problem within the system.


Whether you see a water main break, damaged fire hydrant, or simply a damaged home water meter, please let us know. These are all situations that require trained personnel to assess and resolve the problem.


Never try to repair the damaged component yourself. When you call, be sure to identify the type of problem and its location, as well as your name, address, and phone number so that officials can get in touch with you if they need more information.


To report any damage, contact 311 (or 847-931-6001) during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm).

After normal working hours, dial the Police non-emergency line at 847-289-2700.