LIQUOR LICENSE INFORMATION
Applications should be submitted to the City Clerk’s office for processing. To request an application please contact the City Clerk’s office at 847-931-5660 or by email.
The Liquor Commission meets on the second Wednesday of the month at 4:30 p.m. The Liquor Commission reviews and issues liquor licenses. They also conduct hearings on violations of liquor license regulations.
If you are holding a special event and are planning on serving alcohol please contact the City Clerk’s office at 847-931-5660 or by email. For further information and an application.
Annual Liquor License
In order to have the Liquor Commission consider your application, the following requirements need to be met:
- A nonrefundable application fee of $300 must be submitted with the application.
- A sign, obtained from the City Clerk’s office for a $200 deposit, must be posted for at least the 15 days prior to the meeting at which the application is considered. If the establishment is located on a corner, two signs must be posted.
- The Liquor Code requires that fingerprint criminal background checks be performed by the Illinois State Police with respect to the applicant. In the case of corporate applicants, this applies to all shareholders owning more than five percent of the shares of the applicant corporation and its directors, officers, and managers. The costs of the criminal history background checks shall be paid by the applicant. The applicant can use the list of state approved vendors to have their fingerprints taken.
- Section 6.06.160 of the Elgin Municipal Code requires that a record be made by a court reporter of the proceedings at the meetings at which liquor license applications are considered. The court reporter fee is approximately $150 and is to be paid by the applicant.
- Prior to a liquor license being issued, all codes must be complied with and an occupancy permit issued providing for the sale of liquor. Accordingly, it is necessary to file an application for an occupancy or re-occupancy permit with the Department of Code Administration 847-931-5920.
- No license may be granted to any person or corporation who is indebted to the City.
The Elgin Liquor Code is available online under Title 6 Chapter 6.06. Also, check the Ordinance Pending Codification section for recently passed ordinances regarding the Liquor Code.
As part of your liquor license application, the Department of Code Administration requires that an Application for Business Occupancy be submitted together with Site and Floor Plans and a $160 fee. After satisfying the requirements of the occupancy inspection, a certificate of occupancy will be issued.
If you have any questions regarding this aspect of your liquor license application process, please contact the Department of Code Administration and Development Services at 847-931-5920.
First time applicants must apply and pay for their business license in-person at City Hall, 150 Dexter Court, Elgin, IL 60120. Same day payment is required for those applying for a new general business license. No new online applications will be accepted.
Once a license has been issued, payment and informational updates can be completed online.
BASSET Training information
The original or renewal application for a liquor license shall be accompanied with proof of completion of a state certified "beverage alcohol sellers and service education and training program" (BASSET) for all persons who serve or sell alcoholic beverages pursuant to that license.
New employees or managers of a licensee, who are required to complete BASSETtraining, shall within sixty (60) days from the beginning of their employment with that licensee complete the BASSETprogram, and shall until completion of the BASSET program work under the supervision of a person who has completed the BASSETprogram.
For more information, visit the BASSET website.
Illinois Liquor Control Commission
For information regarding state licensing, visit the Illinois Liquor Control Commission website
If you need more information, please email Kim Dewis, City Clerk. Please include your:
- Email Address
- Daytime Phone Number
Please specify if your request is for information regarding:
- Special Events