Budget and Financial Information
Let’s talk about the budget
Read the 2021 Adopted Budget and Financial Plan to learn how the City builds the budget, how the budget benefits Elgin residents, where your tax dollars go, and more. The 2021 budget works to align investments with the priorities Elgin residents identified in the community survey, as well as the City’s 2018-2022 Strategic Principles and Priorities.
This page is updated regularly, so check in often, learn about the budget and help us see what’s important to you!
We want to hear from you!
Join the Discussion
2021 Budget News
- 11/6/20 - Daily Herald - "Pending 2021 Elgin budget avoids property tax increase -- for now"
- 11/8/20 - Elgin Courier-News - "Worker wages to be frozen, recreation center and pool to stay closed as Elgin addresses $11M budget deficit"
- 11/12/20 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin police chief asks city to expand mental health services unit"
- 11/13/20 - Daily Herald - "Elgin officials consider proposal for mental health professionals to handle more 911 calls"
- 11/14/20 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin might create two jobs that focus on human rights and the environment"
- 11/19/20 - Daily Herald - "Elgin's 2021 budget envisions most park facilities closed but Black Lives Matter art"
- 11/19/20 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin Parks and Rec Department lays out list of closures and cancellations to close $1.5M budget gap"
- 11/20/20 - Elgin Courier-News - "Boards that protected downtown Elgin windows will serve as impetus for documentary, mural"
- 12/1/20 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin applying for $4M state grant to help fund lead pipe replacement work through end of 2021"
- 12/3/20 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin council debates whether creating new human rights, sustainability posts makes sense in 2021"
- 12/4/20 - Daily Herald - "Elgin's Black Lives Matter film will document peaceful protest, permanent mural"
- 12/17/20 - Elgin Courier-News - "Despite dissent from 2 council members, Elgin will hire sustainability and human rights officers in 2021"
- 12/17/20 - Daily Herald - "Elgin council splits over new budget, spending on new hires"