Budget and Financial Information
Let's talk about the budget
Read the 2020 Proposed Budget and Financial Plan to learn about how the City builds the budget, how the budget benefits tax payers, where your tax dollars go, and more. The 2020 Proposed Budget works to align investments with the priorities Elgin residents identified in the community survey, as well as the City's 2018-2022 Strategic Principles and Priorities.
We update this page regularly, so check in often, learn about the budget and help us see what's important to you!
We want to hear from you!
Budget Meeting Schedule
Join us for the 2020 budget discussion meetings at City Hall Council Chambers on the following dates:
- Wednesday, November 6 at 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 13 at 5 p.m.
- Wednesday November 20 at 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 4 at 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 18 at 6 p.m.
"Budget On-the-Go" Schedule
“Budget On-the-Go” is series of informal meetings where you can hear from City staff, tell us what’s important to you and ask questions about how Elgin invests its money each year. Join us for breakfast, lunch, or in the evening. Find a time, date and location that works for you. You can download the event flyer here.
- Tuesday, November 12, 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. "Budget & Brews" at Paul’s Family Restaurant, 1300 Lawrence Avenue, Elgin. ***Coffee provided
- Thursday, November 21, 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. "Budget & Brews" at Lounge 51, Dream Hall, 51 S. Grove Avenue, Elgin. ***Coffee provided
- Tuesday, December 3, 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. "Let's Taco 'Bout the Budget" at The Haight, 166 Symphony Way, Elgin. ***Tacos provided
Join the Discussion
- 11/7/19 - Elgin Courier-News - "Four Elgin festivals, including Art and Soul and the Fox Trot 10K, may be on chopping block to make way for new events"
- 11/7/19 - Elgin Courier-News - "No tax hike in proposed 2020 Elgin budget but property owners will pay 6% more for water, 2% more for sewer services"
- 11/8/19 - Daily Herald - "Elgin considering ending some annual events, adding others"
- 11/8/19 - Kane County Connects - "Elgin 'Budget On-the-Go' gives citizens a say in how tax dollars are spent"
- 11/8/19 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin launches program to help residents understand how the city budget works and where their money is going"
- 11/14/19 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin could impose recreation tax without voter OK as a way to cover parks budget shortfall"
- 11/14/19 - Daily Herald - "Elgin's proposed budget: No property tax levy increase, more city jobs"