Private Property Drainage Assistance
Aaron Cosentino, Director of Neighborhood Services Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 847-450-3772
About the Program
Each year the City receives an average of 65 code compliance cases related to drainage, sump pumps or ponding of water on private property. This program provides homeowner with funding to resolve, or largely mitigate drainage problems on their property. This program’s primary purpose is to address long-standing, drainage issues that are contributing to code violations, property damage and affecting multiple properties (neighbors).
Priority is given to projects where the following is demonstrated:
- Documented evidence of standing water at least 72 hours after a rain event.
- Drainage/standing water cause direct damage to structures or home drainage.
- The proposed project has the ability to substantially improve the issue.
- The proposed project will assist in compliance with City regulations and benefit more than one property.
Eligible Project Types
Ineligible Project Types or Properties
- Upon receipt of all necessary application documents city staff will review the issue, proposed improvement and determine eligibility in the program.
- A determination of eligibility will be made within 14 calendar days after the application is completed.
- If eligible for the program, applicants will be asked to enter into a reimbursement agreement with the City of Elgin.
- The homeowner then has 60 days after the date of the signed agreement to complete the work and submit all payment documentation to the City.
- After review of all documents, the City will reimburse the resident 50 percent of labor and material costs, up to $5,000 per project. If a resident chooses to install the improvement themselves without using a contractor, the resident is still required to secure the necessary permits and approvals from the City. Upon approval by staff, the City will reimburse 50 percent of the cost of materials only, up to $3,000 maximum. If a rain garden is built the City will match 75 percent of project costs with the same match ceilings.