A tornado is possible. Remain alert for approaching storms. Watch the sky and stay tuned to weather radio, commercial radio, or television for information.
A tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. Take shelter immediately!
- They may strike quickly, with little or no warning
- They may appear nearly transparent until dust and debris are picked up or a cloud forms in the funnel
- They have been known to move in any general direction
- The average ground speed of a tornado is 30 mph, but may vary from stationary to 70 mph
- Tornadoes are most likely to occur between 3:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., but can occur at any time
- Dark, often greenish sky
- Large hail
- Large, dark, low-lying cloud (particularly if rotating)
- Loud roar, similar to a freight train