Water Billing Information
Water bill payment options include:
- Auto Pay
- Online Water Bill Pay
- The online payment system is down daily for maintenance between 11:00 p.m. and 1:30 a.m.
- In person at City Hall (8 AM - 5 PM)
- Drop box outside of City Hall (24/7)
- Call 311 (or 847-931-6001 if outside of Elgin)
- Visa, MasterCard and Discover cards are accepted.
- Mail to: Attn: Water Payment City of Elgin, PO Box 88025, Chicago, Illinois 60680-1025.
If you would like to enroll in paperless billing, please visit the City of Elgin eBilling Portal. You need your account number (it can be found on your water bill) and a valid email address. You will not receive eBill notifications until your email address is verified.
Understanding Your Water Bill
The water, sewer maintenance and sewer treatment charges are determined by the volume of water provided to the service address recorded on the water meter. Water volume is billed in units of 100 cubic feet (HCFT). One unit of HCFT equals 748 gallons of water. The water availability rate is determined by the size of the water service (meter size) and the number of days in the billing cycle. The water availability charge is generated even when there is no consumption.
The City’s water bill generally consists of the itemized charges defined below:
- Water: This charge includes the direct cost associated with pumping, treating and transmitting water to the service location.
- Adjustments: The adjustment line represent other items such as late fees and miscellaneous water credits posted to your account since your last bill.
- Penalty: A ten percent (10%) late fee for water charges and a five percent (5%) late fee for sewer treatment charges will be added if not paid in full by the due date.
- Refuse Fees: This charge is for collection of residential refuse and recycling services.
- Sewer Maintenance: This charge is for the repair and maintenance of existing storm and sanity sewer lines in Elgin.
- Sewer Treatment: Fees collected by the city on behalf of the Fox River Water Reclamation District (FRWRD) for the treatment of sewer wastewater.
- Water Availability: This charge represents the cost associated with providing enough water storage capacity to meet the customer peak demands and maintaining the water system.
- Water charge - $4.76 per 100 cubic feet
- Sewer maintenance charge- $1.81 per 100 cubic feet, with exceptions:
- Residential - Private Well sewer maintenance charge - $23.48 per month
- Commercial - Private Well sewer maintenance charge - $39.13 per month
- Refuse Fee(Direct pass through to Waste Management)
- Single Family Home - $19.93
- Townhouse & Condo - $14.89
- Leaf Rake Out - Only applies to properties within the leaf rake out area.
Monthly Availability Charge
Based on a 30 day service period.
|Meter Size||Cost||Meter Size||Cost|
Fox River Water Reclamation District (FRWRD) Sewer Treatment Rates
July 1st, 2023
|Residential||$2.95 per 100 cu. ft.|
|Commercial||$3.19 per 100 cu. ft.|
|Industrial||$3.93 per 100 cu. ft.|
|Governmental / Institutional||$3.08 per 100 cu. ft.|