The following list is not complete, but it provides a starting point. If the source states "Request," it is in a locked book case in adult services at the Gail Borden Public Library at 200 N. Grove Ave.
- Architecture of the Old Northwest Territory. Authored by Rexford Newcomb and published by the University of Chicago Press in 1950.
- Art Work of Kane County. Published by W.H. Parish Publishing Co. in 1898. Request.
- Biographical Record of Kane County. Published in 1898.
- Elgin: An American History. Authored by E.C. Alft. Published in 1984.
- Elgin, Illinois - Pictorial and Descriptive. Published by Artistic Publishing Association in 1886. Request.
- The Elgin Historic District. Authored by E.C. Alft. Published in 1980.
- Elgin neighborhood historical / architectural surveys are available at Elgin City Hall.
- Elgin, Past, and Present - Historical and Biographical. Authored by R. Waite Joslyn. Published by T.H. Kennel & Co. in 1927.
- Elgin Today - 1904 - Historical and Descriptive, Biographical. Published by Lowrie and Black in 1903.
- Golden Jubilee Souvenir, St. Mary's Parish, Elgin, IL. Published in 1903.
- Kane County Directory, 1859-1860. Request
- The History of Elgin from 1835-1875. Published by Lord and Bradford in 1867. Request.
- Kane County Gazetter. Published by John C.W. Bailey in 1867. Request.
- Kane County Illinois Early Families, 1833-1885. By the Elgin Genealogical Society, 1991.
- National Register Nomination for the Elgin Historic District. Authored by Bruce Dahlquist and Patricia Andrews, 1983.
- Northern Illinois Gazette, 1855-1856. Request.
- The Past and Present of Kane County, Illinois. Published in 1878. Request