I have low pressure. Who do I call?

If the pressure is low all over the house, you can call the Water Dept. Meter Division at 847-931-6162 and they can investigate. If the pressure is low at only a few sinks, you can do some investigating. Remove the aerator from the faucet and inspect for debris that may be obstructing water flow. The debris may be sediment from your plumbing or it may be pieces of your hot water heater’s dip tube (a plastic rod from the inside of your hot water heater that has been proven defective in certain models. All hot water heaters manufactured between 1993 and 1997 could have faulty dip tubes.) Dip tube debris will be white, gray or light-green tinted granular or eggshell-like particles. Place some of the debris in a small glass of water. If it floats, it’s probably dip tube pieces. This is a hot water heater manufacturing problem and will need to be addressed by a plumber. If you have questions about this, call the water quality laboratory at 847-931-6158.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if my water is discolored?
2. I have low pressure. Who do I call?
3. Do I need a water softener if I am on City water?
4. My automatic dishwasher operator’s manual says that the amount of detergent I need to use depends on the grains per gallon of hardness in the water. What is the hardness of City water?
5. Does Elgin add fluoride to the City water supply?
6. What is the sodium content in Elgin’s water?
7. Is radon a contaminant concern in Elgin’s water?
8. Why does the water have a chlorine taste or smell? How can I remove it?
9. Why is my water cloudy? It looks milky.
10. My water is suddenly rusty. What should I do? Who should I call?
11. Do you give tours of your water treatment plant?
12. What’s this pink stuff in my bathroom?
13. What are these black (or red) particles coming out of my faucet?