What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
Child abuse is mistreatment that causes physical, mental, emotional, or sexual anguish to the child. Abuse can come in many forms that are not easy to detect on first observation, and it most often comes at the hands of a parent, guardian, other family member or other trusted family friend. The City of Elgin Police Department is here to help child abuse victims by providing protection service in conjunction with the Department of Children and Family Services and limited counseling services. If you or someone you know is the victim of child abuse, you can anonymously call the DCFS child abuse hotline at 1-800-252-2873. For more information about child abuse assistance, contact the Elgin Police Department located at 151 Douglas Ave. 24 hours a day - seven days a week. The phone number to call is 847- 289-2700. Social Services

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?