What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
Elgin's ordinance prohibits what is commonly known as "door-to-door" solicitations without a permit provided by city staff. Vendors without a permit are prohibited from soliciting invitations or from going upon premises without an invitation for the purpose of soliciting orders. The ordinance does not apply to non-commercial activities. Non-commercial activities mean activities which are political, religious or charitable in nature. The ordinance applies to streets and public buildings, as well as private residences and is enforced on a complaint-basis. Should a person or business be door to door soliciting without a permit, they are subject to fines and/or arrest. If a violation is deemed to have occurred, a summons may be issued to the violating person and/or business. A police officer does not need to be present at the time the alleged violation occurs; however, a complainant's testimony will be required if the matter is prosecuted in Elgin City Court. If a solicitor appears fraudulent or harassing, contact the Elgin Police Department to report the complaint either in person or by calling 847-289-2700.
Download an application for a solicitor or handbill permit
Ordinance Information

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?