How do I obtain a police record or report?

The Records Division maintains all records and official reports created and by law makes those reports accessible to the public. Criminal reports, traffic accident reports, missing person reports, police records and warrants can all be acquired by stopping by in person at the Elgin Police Department. To obtain copies of reports involving criminal acts we require a "Freedom of Information Act" (FOIA) form to be completed. Please be advised that it takes seven (7) working days for the FOIA to be fulfilled. You must present a picture ID, such as a valid driver’s license, military ID, or passport and complete a request for information form. For traffic accident report, there is a nominal processing fee of $5.00 for each request. For more information on how you may call 847-289-2575 or visit the police department’s webpage.

Obtaining Reports

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?