Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
The Elgin Police Department requires all vehicles traveling on city streets have a permit and obey posted and standard restrictions regarding vehicle weight. Motor vehicles may not carry more than 80,000 pounds on any street within Elgin. They can carry even less on bridges or other areas where a lower weight limit is posted. The city enforces these regulations through portable weigh stations and other checkpoints that may require all commercial vehicles to stop and be tested. Failure to obey the posted weight limit or stop at a checkpoint may result in heavy fines and penalties. There are also restrictions on length and width of trucks able to access city roads. For more information about overweight vehicles, or to report a vehicle that you believe is operating illegally, contact the police department at 847-289-2661 between 7:30 A.M and 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday. You may also email Need an overweight permit? Please visit the Oxcart Permit website to obtain a permit. All permits will be reviewed by the Elgin Police Department traffic unit.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?