Do you offer victim services?
The police department provides victim services designed to protect victims of crime or abuse who have just cause to feel threatened or in danger in their homes. These services are available from the time that the crime has been committed through the court proceedings regarding the case. While these services are available for anyone who has been the victim of a crime, they are targeted toward women, children, and other victims who are more likely to be in danger by reporting a crime or testifying against a defendant. Victim services include a women's safehouse where women can stay without fear for personal safety, most often after cases of domestic violence and abuse. Witness assistance programs are also available to victims, allowing them to be safe from harm before and after court testimonies, and even providing identification changes when necessary. Other available services include free counseling and medical services, police supervision, assistance gaining restraining orders, and information regarding the availability of restitution for crimes committed. If your home is unsafe due to domestic violence or you are the victim or witness of a crime, contact 9-1-1 if it is an emergency, and 847-289-2686 to learn more about victim services.Social Services

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?